Volunteering for Heartland
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the application below. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you once your application has been approved to set up a time for orientation.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or over for most volunteer activities.
Volunteers aged 13-17 can participate in the Petsmart Cat Care Program and Special Events if accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Heartland Humane Society is 100% volunteer organization. We do not have a shelter and we foster from our homes. Below is a list of some of our volunteer opportunities:
- Petsmart Cat Care - volunteers are sometimes needed to care for our cats and kittens at the O'Fallon Petsmart. Duties including caring for and socializing/exercising the kitties and cleaning cages. Volunteers are expected to commit to one shift per week - morning or evening, and hours are somewhat flexible (may work anytime between 8 - 11 am for morning shifts or 4 - 8 pm for evening shifts).
- Fostering - We are always in need of foster parents who can provide temporary care for dogs/puppies or cats/kittens waiting for homes. If you are interested, please complete the Foster Application on our website.
- Fundraising & Grant Writing - fundraising and grant writing are our biggest needs as both activities help us bring in much-needed supplemental funds to cover operational and vet costs for our animals. We hold various fundraisers throughout the year and can always use assistance whether it be attending the actual event, volunteering the day of or assisting with planning/coordinating prior to the event. Grant-writing is also critical to our success as it allows us to secure larger amounts of funds to be used towards operational costs and vet bills. Your support will allow us to continue to raise the money needed to care for our rescued animals while working closely with the community and educating them about who we are, what we do, and the importance of humane treatment of animals.
- Third Party Events – volunteers can also create unique events to raise funds. From pet supply drives to bake sales or jewelry parties, your event can be as creative and fun as you make it.
- Marketing - this is a very important aspect of what we do as getting the word out about our organization, our adoptable pets, and our needs is critical to long-term success. We would love to have volunteers to help us market and advertise our organization and events in the public - this includes helping out with press releases, creating flyers/brochures for our events, helping to manage our website, and networking with the public through community events and media outlets.